As a GIS Intern, you will be expected to provide a broad range of GIS work in the form of map creation, data analysis, possible field work, and providing support to other staff members.
- Map Creation: The GIS Intern will be required to make, update, or edit different maps for both internal use and by request.
- Working with Digital Data: The GIS Intern will be required to digitize, analyse, clean, and report upon data collected and/or downloaded.
- Managing the Treaty #3 Geoportal: Grand Council Treaty #3 has an online Geoportal for spatial data and projects. The GIS Intern will be required to help update/upload layers, and basic maintenance, as well as attend Geoportal meetings and events.
- Field Work: The GIS Intern may be requested to join in field data collection with other staff members on land or water.
- Participate in Treaty #3 Community Engagement Events: The GIS Intern will be requested to attend and/or aid in set-up for events and meetings.
- All other related duties assigned by supervisor, manager, and leadership of GCT#3.
Candidate Eligibility Criteria:
- Reside, and be legally entitled to work, in Canada
- Has a good understanding of computers and basic software
- Experience with digital editing and data organization
- Experience working with GIS software (ESRI ArcMap)
- An interest and passion in GIS and/or working with data
- A drive to learn and build upon skills and knowledge
- Attention to detail
- Basic understanding of cartography (coordinate systems, map scales, latitude and longitude)
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at once
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working with plotters and troubleshooting printers may be considered an asset
- Diploma or degree in Geographical Information Systems may be considered an asset
- An understanding of Manito Aki Inakonigaawin, Treaty #3, and/or Anishinaabe culture may be considered an asset
- Experience working with Microsoft programs such as Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Experience and/or knowledge in natural resources
- Must have valid driver’s license, in good standing and a reliable vehicle
- Must have a clear criminal records/vulnerable sector check is required upon hiring
- Must be able to travel on short notice
- Travel may be required within Treaty #3 and surrounding areas
- Busy office setting and repetitive work
- Interacts with the general public
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for (3) references to the attention of:
Human Resources Manager
Grand Council Treaty #3
P.O. Box 1720, Kenora, Ontario P9N 3X7
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position, however only those being considered will be contacted. At Grand Council Treaty #3, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, advise Human Resources when applying for the position.
|Job Category||Territorial Planning Unit|
|Closing Date||Open until filled|
|Duration||Two year contract with possibility of extension|