At the present time, Anishinaabe children and families are involved in provincial systems. Therefore, GCT No. 3 would like to provide information on the current child welfare complaint process.

Child and Family Service providers have formal complaint processes. Information about the steps for these processes can be found at:

After receiving a complaint, the Naaisidoon Internal Review Panel will send notification within 7 days if they will review your complaint. Review processes may take time. If you do not desire to wait for a Review Panel, AAFS also notes that you can take your complaint to the Child and Family Services Review Board.

Within seven days of receiving a written complaint, correspondence will be sent to the complainant indicating if their case will be brought before the Naag-gu-chichi-chi-gaa-win Committee.

Toronto Native Child and Family Services have four stages to their complaint process;

  1. Discussion with the Child and Family Well-being worker
  2. Bringing the complaint before the Supervisor
  3. Bringing a complaint before the Manager
  4. An Original Talking Circle, lead by a facilitator alongside an Elder or Knowledge Keeper.

Children and families also have avenues outside of child welfare service providers. Complaints and concerns can also be brought before a provincial ombudsman and watchdog.


Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs First Nations Family Advocate Office

The FNFAO provides support and services to children, families, and care givers in addressing concerns pertaining to child welfare practices. They advocate within CFSA and judicial systems to keep families together and bring children home. Information about their process and access to forms are available on their website:


Ontario Ombudsman

Ontario Ombudsman will investigate complaints they receive regarding children receiving care within Ontario’s child welfare system. On their website there is information on your rights as a child or youth in care are, as well as a complaint form if you feel your rights are not being respected.

Complaint Form:

Know Your Rights Brochure.


Manitoba Ombudsman

A written complaint form, found on the ombudsman’s website needs to be submitted. Information about the process of submitting a form can be found here:


Manitoba Advocate

The Manitoba Advocate investigates reviews and advocates on behalf of children receiving services under Manitoba’s Child and Family Services Act. The Manitoba Advocate may be asked by a child or family member for assistance.